The Precious Blood (1 Peter 1:18-20)
1 Peter 1:18-20 “knowing that you were ransomed from the futile ways inherited from your forefathers, not with perishable things such as silver or gold, but with the precious blood of Christ, like that of a lamb without blemish or spot.”
There is no question that the blood of Jesus Christ is the most precious, valuable gift there is. But many of us fail to understand its value and virtue.
We also sing about the power of the blood, and about the wonder working power of the blood of the lamb.
Have we thought about why there is such great power and value in the blood of Jesus Christ?
What causes the Blood of Christ to have such unlimited value?
- Shed for the forgiveness of our sins:
- Matthew 26:28 says “for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.”
- Forgiveness of sins means that the precious blood of Jesus:
- cleansed us from sin
- removes the guilt of sin
- restored to a right relationship with God
- Speaks of something better for us:
- Hebrews 12:24 says “and to Jesus, the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.“
- The word spoken is no longer of:
- The precious blood of Jesus speaks to God for our:
- cleansing and
- reconciliation to God.
- There is something better for you this day. A better word for your life. If you feel that there is no hope in your situation, that there is nothing good that you can see in your life. Know today that the precious blood of Jesus speaks a better word for your life.
- There is power in the blood of Jesus
- There is power in the Word of Christ and His promises to your life.
- There is power in the blood of Jesus to turn every situation into good for those who love Him and who are called according to His purposes.
- By it we enter the Holy of Holies:
- Hebrews 10:19 says “Therefore, brothers, since we have confidence to enter the holy places by the blood of Jesus,“
- It is only by the precious and prevailing blood of Jesus that we can enter boldly into the Holy of Holies, to touch Gods throne of grace and receive His Grace and Mercy for our timely help.
- Because of Jesus blood you have access to the Throne room of God, and you can enter any time with confidence. You don’t need an appointment but you have 24/7 access all the time.
- This is great. Do we realize the enormity of what was gained for us?
- Do we understand the great price paid by the blood of Jesus for us?
- Do we use this opportunity to remain at the feet of the Father and to come to Him in worship as often as we can?
- We often take this privilege very lightly?
- God wants us to come to him and to fellowship with Him. We must long for Him and for all the things that are of God.
- Remember a great price was paid for you to have access to the Throne room of God.
- The reason we need to come into the throne room of God is:
- First and foremost, to worship God and glorify His name
- Secondly it is to come to Him in humbleness knowing that:
- we have needs
- we have weaknesses
- we have confusion
- we have limitations of all kinds and
- we need help
- By it we overcame Satan the accuser:
- Revelation 12:11 says “And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony,…”
- Colossians 2:14-15 says “having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross. And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.”
- It is by the blood of Jesus that we overcame Satan, who is the accuser of the brothers
- We need to declare our victory over Satan because:
- the full price has been paid to set us free from sin and Satan
- his authority over us has been broken. He no longer has any authority over you because Jesus Christ defeated Him on the cross by the shedding of His blood, disarming Satan and putting him to open shame
- You are now a child of God
- the shed blood of Christ certifies His victory over Satan
Let us pray before we partake of the juice and bread, representing the precious, powerful blood of Christ and His body that was broken on the cross for you and for me.