Being Members of One Body in Christ
1 Corinthians 10:16-17 “Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all share the one loaf.”
- What participation means here is: Partnership, Participate, Fellowship. In other words it is a joining of two or more into one.
- When Christ entered this world he came into the world by taking on a physical body
- Through his physical body Jesus demonstrated the love of God clearly, tangibly and bodily, through healing, miracles, mighty signs and wonders, commanding nature and having full authority, and ultimately shown through his sacrificial death on the cross to bring salvation (Romans 5:8 “But God shows his love in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” )
- After the resurrection of Christ, The work of Christ did not stop there but His work continues in the world through those who he has redeemed. THAT US, the CHURCH.
- The church now demonstrates the love of God clearly, tangibly, and bodily, to take the gospel, to bring healing, restoration and all through the power of the Holy Spirit that has been given to us.
- In this way, we individually who make up the church, functions as the Body of Christ. We have now become the body of Christ
1 Corinthians 12:12-14 says “Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many.”
- It is the ONE SPIRIT that works in each individual making up the ONE BODY of CHRIST
- When we partake of the bread and the juice it is a reminder of the death and sacrifice of Jesus made on our behalf, to free us from slavery to sin and to be adopted into his family as his sons and daughters. It is also a reminder that we are now part of His spiritual body and He remains in us and we in Him and we continue His work here on earth, as it says in John 6.
How do we operate as a body?
- The body of Christ can be likened to our earthly bodies which is comprised of many parts.
- There are limbs, organs and various members that when left alone without the rest of the body it is useless
- When assembled it makes up the entire body and we become one unit, one body
- The body has an order, you can’t take a hand and place it somewhere else in the body and expect it to function to its full capacity. The part must be in its correct place to function to its full capacity.
- If you cut of any member of the body that body part will die when it is not connected the body, the church. Make surety at you remain connected to the body of Christ in its right order.
- We cannot be detached from the body, to be alive we must be connected to the body
- We must realize that Christ is the head from who comes:
○ All instruction
○ All the brain power
○ All the energy
○ All resources to make every part of the body function
○ The head is the life
- Let us ensure that each part doesn’t become the head and do as we wish, not being in conformity with the rest of the body.
- You can cut other parts of your body off, and you will still function if you have your head. The moment you cut of the head the life is gone.
- Christ is our head the source of our life.
As members of the body of Christ , what can you and me do to enhance the body of Christ and to advance the Kingdom of God on earth? The body is a holy entity and is to be respected and treated with complete honor and care. We can follow some of the following principles to build up the body of Christ. Each one of us are called to:
- Promote truth and unity: Ephesians 4:25 “Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body. “
- Called to service: 1 Corinthians 12:4-11 shows the importance of using your God-given spiritual gift. Your gift is unique and important to the body. It is essential to the body that you use your special gift in service to God
- Called to share Jesus: Romans 1:16 “I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes…”
- Called to worship: Psalm 92:1-2 “It is good to praise the LORD and make music to your name, O Most High, to proclaim your love in the morning and your faithfulness at night.”
- You are called to love one another: 1 John 4:11 “Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.”
Let us remember the great sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross, a heavy price paid for our salvation and to participate in his body. Let us be a contributing member of the body of Christ, actively sharing Jesus with others, bringing peace and unity within the body.
Worshiping God and glorifying Jesus for His finished work of salvation through the sacrifice of his body and by whom we have eternal life in Christ Jesus. Let us now be joined to Him being one body. His body on earth to continue His work of Salvation, Healing, Restoration, Love etc to advance his Kingdom on Earth.
Lord, Thank you for your death and sacrifice on the cross for my sins, and making me an active part of your body. Help me to serve you in the way you have called me to accomplish those things for your glory and for your Kingdom. In Jesus name. Amen.